Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Absolute Limit

"Nothing can happen in you until you have come to your absolute limit."
~~The Shining Face ~~ by Harold Myra

I know this to be true.
All change demands a spirit of surrender.
An acquiescing
A change of mind
..of attitude...
A humbling...

The statement " I am humiliated" can only be true if the mind and heart accept the position.
It is something one allows.
You permit it...
You agree...
Your choices brought you down...
Low...

Humility.
Not a pretty word.
Not associated with power and presence
Success or ambition.
Not even necessarily associated with truth.
It speaks of nakedness, exposure, revelation....
Vulnerability
Need
Surrender
Acceptance

The bible says that :

"God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
                     James 4:6

James goes on to say in verse 10:

" Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and he will lift you up."

I have come to realize that quite a few of the obstacles in my path are a result of my pride and arrogance.

Have you ever noticed how it seems that the simplest among us are content and full of joy , while the the most successful people at the top are the most manic..the most medicated?

Jesus himself was meek and lowly...
Meek
Lowly
 That's not great PR...who was his handler ?
His agent?

What are the little rebellions of your heart today ?
The ones that prop you up and feed your view of yourself?
The ones that maintain your public persona in a world of email, Facebook and twitter.
In a world where life is perceived at the rate of 70 characters in a feed line.
Or a status update.

We all have them. These masks we wear.
Our successes we gather around us like Oscars on the mantle.
The keys to our perceptions....the mirrors we use to reflect our image...
Today I am committed to gathering together my little rebellions: my vanities, my need for approval...

Again I find myself at the limit.
The very faithfulness of God brings me patiently here, again and again...
At the edge of the fire,
...to the shoreline at high tide...
...to the precipice...
Today I cast my rebellions again into the hurricane of his love...
...into the flame of his righteousness...
...into the depths of his mercy...
I humble myself.
He lifts me up.

I am transformed.
I have reached the absolute limit of myself again...
...and He is there.

2 comments:

  1. From my bible reading today:

    "...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven..."

    Key word humble...

    ReplyDelete