Monday, October 10, 2011

With Gratitude I Remember

Gang-Gang's Farm: Lochaber, N.S ~ photo credit Tracy Auton Stuit


He is a wise man who does not grieve 
for the things which he has not, 
but rejoices for those which he has. 

~Epictetus
Some of my happiest moments were spent in that house and playing in the surrounding acres of fields and forest. 
Jumping from the rafters of the barn into the sweet smelling hay. 
Carrying buckets of water from the spring at the bottom of the hill, there was no running water. 

I remember candlewick quilts, chamberpots and the outhouse. 
Cousins, aunts and uncles.
Deer under the apple tree, roses on the wall paper, carrying wood from the wood-house.
The wood stove, ice on the windows and the tree house.


This is where my memories begin: at Gang-Gang's.

I remember her strong gnarly hands grasping mine as she taught me how to knead biscuit dough in the old pantry.
Day dresses and thick nylons were her regular attire. 
A glorious crown of white hair framed a wrinkled face. 
She always seemed old to me
Her skin resembled parchment paper except soft: it was her "raincoat" as we kids called it. 
Bernice Malloy was her name. Mother to my maternal grandfather Alexander.


These people are my heritage. Their fingerprints are indelibly imprinted upon my soul.
Gratitude  wells up within my heart as I whisper thanks for those who loved and nurtured me as a child.


For this I am grateful :
I have been loved.
I am loved.
I love.


I rejoice.

What are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful sentiments! And, the photo just takes you there! Thank you! hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete