Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What I Have or Haven't Done....


For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?
When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply,
‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
“He will reply,
 ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
~ Jesus ~  Matthew 25: 35-45
I read this.
Over and over and over again.
I am struck silent.
My heart burns.
My mind ...reasons.
But there is no out.
No back door out of this one.
Truth?
God loved.
He gave.
Jesus came to serve not to be served.
And me?
I marvel. At mercy.
At the patience of a God. A Savior.
With me.
Follower.
Friend of God.
Clay.
Who tells the potter, just how it's going to be today.
My audacity frightens me.
My heart weeps and humbled I bow down.


I need my eyes washed.
I imagine Christ, stooping to dig in the dirt, spitting and applying the mud to my eyes.
I am the blind beggar.
Cause me to see.
Give me sight.
I need the miracle.
It is LOVE that drives me today.
To joyously anticipate serving.
Seeing what is in front of me.
Doing the work of my Father.
Moved with compassion.
Laying aside my comfort.
My status. 
MY  LIFE.
To move beyond looking to really seeing.
Not passive but active.


I used to think that the least of these were somewhere other than where I was and I had to go looking. 
The truth is much simpler.
The least of these are right in front of you.
Those who have need.
Emotionally.
Physically.
Spiritually.
Someone NOT me.
Someone who has nothing to give in return for the gift I have to give.
No payback.
No return on investment.
No accolades.
No glory.
Sometimes even seemingly undeserving.
Possibly an enemy.
What I have come to realize is the severity of the cost.
It costs everything.
According to Jesus:
My fate is decided by what I have or haven't done unto the least of these.
Because this is where faith in Christ is manifested.
This is where it is lived out.
The proof is in the life.
The heart....it is searched and known...
Light of the World
Salt of the Earth.
Us.
Really?
A servant is no greater than his master.
Who am I that I should elevate myself in such a way?
To distance myself from the:
Unwashed.
Uneducated.
Uncouth.
Ungodly.
Unregenerated.
Unappreciative.
Ungrateful.
???

I am to be like my Master.

LOVE.
Seeks not it's own.

Today:
I want to do what I see my Father doing.
I have to look. I have to see.
Active Faith.
Active Hope.
Active Love.

Because, I AM his.
He is the shepherd.
I am his sheep.
Where He leads, I will follow.
I will do EVERYTHING as unto the Lord.
So..help...me...God.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for that beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Mark: Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I re-read it and was thankful for the reminder. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete